Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43308 - 03/30/15 11:15 AM Do you need a power amp if you run it through a combo amp?
StayESP3d Offline

does the "head" of the combo amp act as the power part and it would run through it no problem? its only stuff like cabs that would need a power amp with it right? Just wanted to make sure of this

#43310 - 03/30/15 01:19 PM Re: Do you need a power amp if you run it through a combo amp? [Re: StayESP3d]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I run my 11R in the effect return of a small combo amp when I get out jamming with friends. If it's just me and an acoustic guitar I run Rig Output, if it's a bit louder I run Rig Ouput no Cab.

#43315 - 03/30/15 06:35 PM Re: Do you need a power amp if you run it through a combo amp? [Re: DonaldR]
attack Offline

I have a combo tube amp with the fx loope..does it sound better running the 11r through the effects loop...I been playing it though front of amp..also having trouble with my looper hooked up to the effects loop on 11R....
Thanks!!!

#43321 - 03/31/15 09:41 AM Re: Do you need a power amp if you run it through a combo amp? [Re: attack]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
If you use amp modelling going straight from 11R amp out 1 or 2 to your combo effect loop should sound better as it will bypass your combo preamp.
If you have a clean power section in your combo and a neutral speaker you can try Rig Output. Works for me when I don't play too loud and without too much high-gain models.

#43327 - 04/01/15 07:13 AM Re: Do you need a power amp if you run it through a combo amp? [Re: DonaldR]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
besides using the "fx return" you can do the "4 cable method" as explained in another post on the forum... it should still be in the first couple of pages since someone else has been asking about that.

#43370 - 04/03/15 10:55 AM Re: Do you need a power amp if you run it through a combo amp? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Paul in Iowa Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
depends on your amp setup.
what make and model are we talking about??
is the amp stereo??

I use a little 212 Behringer combo from sweetwater it is left right stereo. and use the rca aux in on the back of the amp from the r24 zoom mixer recorder also from sweetwater and drive 2 Behringer 4/12 cabs as left right for the studio.

I just feed channels 1 as left and channel 2 as right from the 11 rack to the r24 zoom.

sounds great in a small room.
low cost and sounds ok.