Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43026 - 03/06/15 08:50 AM Amp Outputs Unuseable for Reamping Due to Noise !
Studiocat13 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hey Guys,
New to the group but I am in despearate need of some help. I have had my 11Rack for a couple of years and really like the way it sounds for getting basic ideas down but prefer to use a real tube amp to create my real tracks. With that said I have just recently started to try and use the 11Rack as a reamping platform and have not had a very good experience so far. I can easily track the Dry Guitar signal and feed that to my DAW via the Amp Output 1 but when I try and play that signal back through the 11Rack and into an Amp input the noise is horrible. It sounds like white/preamp noise and is present as soon as I connect the Amp Output to the input of the amp.
I have checked everything and all things lead to the 11Rack. I know the recorded signal is good because I can feed it out of the DAW into a Radial Re-Amp box and straight into the amp with zero noise and although this works well, I should be able to use the 11Rack to perform the same task without additional hardware, Right?
I also tried to the ground the front Amp Output jack to the 11R chassis and it dropped the noise some but still not to an acceptable level.
Any ideas or advice would most helpful and appreciated.
Thanks !

#43027 - 03/06/15 09:04 AM Re: Amp Outputs Unuseable for Reamping Due to Noise ! [Re: Studiocat13]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Hey Studiocat, check out pages 86, 87 and page 78 of the 11R User Guide HERE, and see if that helps you out.

Edited by mikefont (03/06/15 09:05 AM)

#43029 - 03/06/15 09:08 AM Re: Amp Outputs Unuseable for Reamping Due to Noise ! [Re: mikefont]
Studiocat13 Offline

Thanks Mikefont,
I have been through that manual backwards and forwards and have done everything as decribed but nothing I have found there makes a difference.
Thanks again !

#43030 - 03/06/15 09:15 AM Re: Amp Outputs Unuseable for Reamping Due to Noise ! [Re: Studiocat13]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Hey Studiocat, check this thread and see if it helps at all:

Reamping with reaper and eleven rack

Even though this is for reaper, it should apply to almost any DAW. BTW, what program are you using?

#43033 - 03/06/15 02:29 PM Re: Amp Outputs Unuseable for Reamping Due to Noise ! [Re: Downrazor11]
Studiocat13 Offline

Thanks Downrazor,
But I have been through this thread as well and it hasn't helped. I am actually using Pro Tools 10 along with a Digi003 interface. The 003 is the master interface for the DAW and the 11R is just being used as a stand alone DSP. I know I have everything routed and connected properly because the signal is getting to the Amp Output and then on to the tube amps input, it just has a very large amount of noise along with it. Almost as if there is something wrong with the AMP Outputs on the 11R.
Even when I am laying down the Dry Guitar track and try and feed the amp input with the Amp Output of the 11R the noise is there. It doesn't seem to be ground related and I even tried making sure that all gear was on the same circuit and the issue persisted. I also tried a HUM-X power trans on the 11R and it made no difference. It is a very strange issue and is the only noise issue I have ever had in my studio to date.

#43037 - 03/07/15 05:05 AM Re: Amp Outputs Unuseable for Reamping Due to Noise ! [Re: Studiocat13]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Everything I can think of costs $, so I'd stick with the DI box solution for reamping out to real amps. I used a Behringer active box and that gave me a really good signal for reamping, but didn't solve the noises, so I got Mogami platinum cables, and a Furman power conditioner with noise reduction and sometimes even ran my Peavey Cel 2 just for the gate when I did reamp to tube preamps. The biggest problem though, was the location of the gear/where I had everthing plugged in. I setup everything on a different side of the room and it helped a lot. I moved again and have zero noise issues and don't use any special cables or anything any more. Sometimes though, if you're guitar is plugged in and aimed toward your computer monitor it will get noisy. Always track facing away from your monitor screen. Play directly through your gear and record through the line input and see if that's noisy when you move your guitar around.