Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39353 - 05/01/14 04:15 PM In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice
11 tRack Offline

So I'm looking for a good tube amp that will be used in a medium sized room and will spend most of it's time there. It will only be used outside my home 6 to 8x a year.

The amp should be powerful enough for small gigs but quiet enough for home use and sound good at low volumes. Does this amp exist?

Some amps I was considering (heads only no combo amps)

Bugera V55

Peavey 5150 MrK II - which I'm guessing may be too full throttle for my needs, but there is one for sale locally.

#39354 - 05/01/14 05:13 PM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: 11 tRack]
jackson115 Offline
advanced member

Blackstar HT-5R?

#39358 - 05/01/14 06:10 PM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: jackson115]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
Laney irt 15

#39361 - 05/01/14 07:16 PM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: Christophersad]
Birdie Offline
veteran member

Loc: D/FW
what about one like my little Boogie mini-Rectifier? 25 watts or 10 watts..seems perfect for what you are wanting..

#39362 - 05/01/14 09:22 PM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: Birdie]
Eddie Offline
advanced member

Loc: N Richland Hills TX
Blackstar HT Club 40 all the way,,

#39368 - 05/03/14 08:57 AM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: 11 tRack]
Str@man Offline
veteran member

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: 11 tRack
So I'm looking for a good tube amp that will be used in a medium sized room and will spend most of it's time there. It will only be used outside my home 6 to 8x a year.

The amp should be powerful enough for small gigs but quiet enough for home use and sound good at low volumes. Does this amp exist?

Some amps I was considering (heads only no combo amps)

Bugera V55

Peavey 5150 MrK II - which I'm guessing may be too full throttle for my needs, but there is one for sale locally.

11 tRack, since you are looking for an amp head and not a combo, have you considered the Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister 36?

It can play at 36W, 18W, 5W, 1W which is perfect for almost any environment you use it in and it is also a self-biasing amp so the tubes are continually running at their best output and when it is time for new tubes it will bias them for you so no headaches or ZAPS and no paying someone else to bias it for you. You can also run it without the speakers connected by engaging the speaker-off option and run the amp direct-in for recording via the Red Box DI Out for recording, etc.

Just another idea to consider smile

#39369 - 05/03/14 02:07 PM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: 11 tRack]
11 tRack Offline

Guys Thanks for all the options and info, I will look into all of them. I have access to a 4x12 so a head unit is probably what I will buy. Birdie love the mini rectifier you have. Does it sound like it's bigger brothers.

Str@man very interested in the TubeMeister 36 mostly because of it's versatility. Do you own one?

My issue is I bought a new guitar recently so I'm low on funds. I could probably buy the 5150 mrk2 in a few weeks but would have to wait a WHILE for the Mesa or TubeMeister 36.

Does anyone have any experience with a Peavey 5150 MrK II?

#39387 - 05/04/14 08:10 PM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: 11 tRack]
Str@man Offline
veteran member

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: 11 tRack
Str@man very interested in the TubeMeister 36 mostly because of it's versatility. Do you own one?

Yep, I've had it for awhile now and I love the sounds you can get with it. When I read what you were looking for I said, "He's describing the H&K TM36", lol.

One thing to keep in mind is how we all hear music in such a different way, just because I love it doesn't mean that you may think it sounds like a "tin can" laugh but from every thing you said you needed, I believe this can deliver it for you.

Here's some pix and info that might be helpful:

==

==

==

If this isn't what you're looking for I'm sure more of the family orange members will offer more suggestions.

Best of luck and please let us know what you finally find that works for you.

#39394 - 05/05/14 07:15 AM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: 11 tRack]
sax Offline
advanced member

Blackstar makes a range of great "low" watt tube amps, HT 20 heador combo, HT 40 combo, HT 50 Head, I own the HT 50 head and its very versatile. it is 2 channel but two voicings per channel, and ISF which enables you to get a british or american type overdrive sound. It's great.

saxon j

#39402 - 05/05/14 01:10 PM Re: In search of a good tube AMP. Need advice [Re: sax]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
I've become a fan of Orange lately. Even their solid state amps like the CR120 are pretty cool. I never felt like I wish I had an overdrive or anything, just plug in and play whatever you want & feels great for riffs and solos. The Rockerverb is even better than I thought it would be. Especially after trying out the 5150 III & latest Blackstar offerings. All depends on the guitar & what you're going for though. I'm more into modern metal & DJent now myself, but I think you will find your sound easily no matter what it is with a Rockerverb. A lot of recordings use the gain too much and not be able to show what you can really get but they're pretty killer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >