Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34602 - 08/23/13 06:43 AM Line 6 HD500 as a MIDI controller plus expression pedal live rig
GLiDE-BPM Offline

Hi all...

I finally made some final tunings/setup to my HD500 MIDI control of the Eleven Rack.

I use the HD500 for changing patches and cutting effects on/off, and a Rocktron HEX expression pedal into the back of the 11R.

To sync everything up, I first program my 11R patches, noting the initial state of all the effects that I can toggle with the HD500. I take a modded version of the template for MIDI control from the Line 6 site and make the following changes per patch.

preset name = Eleven Rack name.
Rocktron expression = Volume on all 11R rigs
Expression pedal on HD500 = Wah, with pedal switch turning it on/off.
HD500 1-4 buttons:
SW1=Distortion toggle SW2=Modulation toggle SW3=FX2 toggle SW4=Delay toggle. I look at the initial on/off state for the 11R rig and then match the state of the toggles to that.
For initial "on" state of an effect in the 11R, I turn on that switch, which is linked to the correct MIDI CC for the toggle. Then I set the "current value" to 127 for on for that effect.
For initial "off" state of an effect in the 11R, I turn off that switch, which is linked to the correct MIDI CC for the toggle. Then I set the "current value" to 0 for off for that effect.
Basically, I end up with the switch light on/off and the correct MIDI state matching that 11R on/off state. toggle light "on" for HD500 matches "on" light/state on the 11R.

Once my HD500 template was created, I only had to copy it to the other 64 slots in an HD500 setlist. I then only had to mod the name of the patch, the initial state I wanted all of the switches to have, and making sure the MIDI value of all of those switches were sending 0 for off and 127 for on. Wah switch was of course off initially. I used persistent volume so that the Rocktron HEX expression pedal position would force the 11R to keep the same volume level value from the pedal.

I must say that the initial setup is time consuming, but once that first MIDI control HD500 patch is setup properly, it's easy copying, changing the name, and setting the correct toggle switch initial MIDI values.

I use the mode where HD500 SW5-SW8 select the four presets/rigs in a bank. I only needed 4 toggle switches for effects.

If anyone needs my modded template, please request it here and I'll probably end of posting a few of them here so you can see the various toggle button programming states. I also had Reverb set to SW8, and instead of deleting the functionality, I just made sure it sent the correct initial on/off value for the reverb (SW8 sends either a 0 or 127).

Edited by GLiDE-BPM (08/23/13 06:50 AM)

#34603 - 08/23/13 07:25 AM Re: Line 6 HD500 as a MIDI controller plus expression pedal live rig [Re: GLiDE-BPM]
TheHog107 Offline
advanced member

Works great eh? I can't believe more people aren't using the POD HD as a midi controller, works very well.

#34604 - 08/23/13 08:08 AM Re: Line 6 HD500 as a MIDI controller plus expression pedal live rig [Re: TheHog107]
GLiDE-BPM Offline

Yep... just a slight amount more planning than the Behringer pedal, but I like the end result for control a lot better.

I actually have SW5-SW8 MIDI toggles assigned, too in case I wanted to go into Pedalboard Mode. Just have to make sure and send the proper 0/127 for the toggle to match the initial on/off state for the effect in the 11R.

What's really sweet is having the HD500 loaded with my old setlist in case the 11R dies. Nothing like having a MIDI pedal that serves as a redundant preamp into my Plush 3000G tube amp (very much modified to complete point to point wiring. Just did a rebuild on it).

Of course I still have a few pedals in the bag (including a small delay pedal) in case all of the other stuff dies. Have a spare amp in the trailer as well. LoL! Paranoid or what? Or am I just honoring Mr. Murphy so he'll stay away with his tyrant law! hehehe

#40493 - 08/05/14 09:15 PM Re: Line 6 HD500 as a MIDI controller plus expression pedal live rig [Re: GLiDE-BPM]
geils Offline

Loc: Virginia
Glide-BPM;

Would this set up be possible on a Line 6 FBV short board MKII or the FCB 1010 controller?

#40496 - 08/05/14 10:02 PM Re: Line 6 HD500 as a MIDI controller plus expression pedal live rig [Re: geils]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Glide, you may be paranoid, but if you are then so am I.
I bring backups for pretty much everything. I think that, while it's a significant hassle, it's worth it for the piece of mind it offers.