Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40428 - 08/02/14 01:47 PM Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig
ADF Offline
advanced member

Glad to see these guys still making 11R videos.

#40429 - 08/02/14 02:25 PM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: ADF]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
Glad to see ADF back posting again. wink

#40430 - 08/02/14 05:05 PM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: noguud]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
+1, i like those adf posts smile

#40435 - 08/03/14 12:23 AM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: Christophersad]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Thanks noguud and Christophersad!

I'm here nearly every day, just haven't been posting as much.

#40438 - 08/03/14 09:24 AM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: ADF]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
Same here, check in almost 1x per day.

I like the sound of this rig and the Bonamassa (hope I spelled that correct, LOL) rig he's demo'd on Youtube. I may try to replicate them myself at some point. I'm not even a big Eric Johnson fan, but I do like that tone in his demo!

I don't think it is this demo rig, I think it is the Bonamassa rig that has a fuzz in it. I'm always interested in looking at other people's rigs with fuzz, because I have such a hard time dialing in something that sounds good with fuzz for some reason. I always end up with garbage when I try it on my own, from scratch. sick

#40444 - 08/03/14 08:07 PM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: noguud]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: noguud
Same here, check in almost 1x per day.

I like the sound of this rig and the Bonamassa (hope I spelled that correct, LOL) rig he's demo'd on Youtube. I may try to replicate them myself at some point. I'm not even a big Eric Johnson fan, but I do like that tone in his demo!

I don't think it is this demo rig, I think it is the Bonamassa rig that has a fuzz in it. I'm always interested in looking at other people's rigs with fuzz, because I have such a hard time dialing in something that sounds good with fuzz for some reason. I always end up with garbage when I try it on my own, from scratch. sick

I'm with you there. Obviously mad respect to Eric Johnson, but playing wise and tone wise he's not one of my favorites.

I like theses videos because I like seeing the process others use when making rigs. I don't know if singtall has ever done such a video, but that would be awesome to see.

Sometimes an amp I wouldn't expect does the trick, so I try not to have biases. Sometimes I have a song in mind, and I try to replicate, other times it's just noodling around and seeing if I find something that works.

Lately I've been simplifying; the Black Hat preset has been my main rig and I've been pretty happy with it. One of these days I'll get around to recording a new song I have mostly written, and I'm thinking of using that preset as-is; maybe just tweaking the delay to match the tempo of the song.

#40448 - 08/03/14 09:37 PM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: ADF]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i keep saying that i'm going to do a video, but i'm not sure anyone would want to sit in thru my whole crazy tweaking process. i've had artists in the room watching me when i made presets for them and when i stop tweaking and look at them you would think they saw an alien....just a blank stare, followed by a WTF was that that? how did you arrive at that tone from that starting point?

i'll try to get a video done soon, but it's gonna be hard to match the quality that ADF has.

#40449 - 08/03/14 09:40 PM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: ADF]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i just watched the ADF video again....nice video editing there.

Edited by singtall (08/03/14 09:41 PM)

#40461 - 08/04/14 04:57 PM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: singtall]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: singtall
i just watched the ADF video again....nice video editing there.

Thanks singtall!

I could pick your brain for hours on your process - in fact I was thinking of making a thread similar to Christophersad's on the creative process, just about the 'rig creating' process you and others use.

So I figured a video from start to finish might answer most of 'em!

#40467 - 08/04/14 07:26 PM Re: Pro Tools Expert's Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" rig [Re: ADF]
singtall Offline
veteran member

what would you think about doing a video based on how i tweak presets? i could give you the process and you could explain it in a way that makes sense to the masses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >