Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40083 - 07/06/14 11:14 PM Amp explosion
Wannabe Offline
advanced member

Loc: Peoria, AZ.
Well, as they say; When it rains, it pours.
I was rehearsing with my band Thursday night and we are playing away and my favorite amp blows up bigtime. It is a Carvin Legacy that has this absolutely perfect round tube warmth. Something just magic about that amp. I run the 11r into it and the amp into a 4x12 and he gave up the ghost in a big and smelly way.
So, I guess there is one more nice tip of the hat to the 11R as a stable set-up in the durability and consistency of sound. I was thinking about labeling my amp set-up as the best gigging amp deal I have ever run, and then the next night I burn it to the ground.
Oh well. Guess I have to pull out one of my trusty Crate BlueVoodoo 50's till I can have Tony Krank fix him up again.
Anyone else have this type of thing happen, and set you back in your search for the perfect recording tone?

#40084 - 07/07/14 04:50 AM Re: Amp explosion [Re: Wannabe]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
bad story bro,but nothing unfixable i hope. but didnt u try the 11r direct to the pa or trough dedicated frfr speakers?it sounds damn good in that configuration wink

#40088 - 07/07/14 07:23 AM Re: Amp explosion [Re: Christophersad]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
So sorry to hear this bro!!!! frown

Where you running through the Legacy's FX loop & only using it as a power amp?

Or through the front on the clean channel?

X
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#40092 - 07/07/14 08:58 AM Re: Amp explosion [Re: Wannabe]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Wannabe

Anyone else have this type of thing happen, and set you back in your search for the perfect recording tone?

I've never had any amp explode in a smelly way, but my Fender Twin just plain stopped functioning twice on me. I don't run my 11R through it, no FX Loop, but it's still a bummer when it does. Two visits to the shop, both under warranty, and it's still doing well.

For recording tone, I've run direct into DAW via USB since I learned that arena a few years ago. First with a Boss GT-10 and then with an 11R. I could mic up one of my amps, though, but the 11R is so good. I've since added a Boss GT-100 to the mix, and run that through the line-ins on the back of the 11R. If you set the GT-100 outputs properly, it will give you the same tone that you get via headphones minus whatever coloring the headphones give it. The amps are a lot better than the GT-10 was, and it's different enough from the 11R to behave like one huge expansion pack instead of some huge different sound that doesn't fit. I can now get just about anything I want to get in Pro Tools from the 11R and GT-100 combo. Anyhow, between the two of them, I get my "perfect recording tone". I've got about a dozen Rigs (11R) and 3-4 Patches(GT-100) so far that I go to for most anything I do.

#40097 - 07/07/14 07:07 PM Re: Amp explosion [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Wannabe Offline
advanced member

I play alot with my GT6, GT10, AX1500G and other stuff, but the better I get my 11R, the further these are away to sounding true and authentic to me. I tried the GT-100, but quickly went back to the GT-6, which is my second in line. (I have two of them.) Never tried these into the 11R, and for effects, I really prefer my Nova System over the Boss and Tone Works.
I have tried lots of different combos, but prefer the 11R through an Audio Centron EQ into the input of the amp for my Carvin and my three BlueVoodoos. The Krank and the STiff sound great through the effects loop, but there is something about having a long plate tube in the first position and the tube amp richening up the sound in pre and power amp sections together. And having a real set of eminence guitar speakers singing appeals to my palate. I have powered speakers in my studio as we speak, as well as a few other towers of speakers, and doing an A-B-A-B, they just don't stand up to the amp.
The good news is, Tony Krank is a good friend and the cheapest amp repair in the world. (And, in my opinion, the best.) And every time I get one of my amps back from him, he has done a few tricks to it and makes it somehow, better than the perfection that it was when it died. In fact, he just made me what he called; "The way the best of the Krank amps should have been, but they wouldn't let me do it" and for power amp and metal, this is the trick!
I just hope I can get the magic sound I was getting in this last month. There was something about it.

#40174 - 07/08/14 01:06 PM Re: Amp explosion [Re: Wannabe]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I had a tube explode on a fender blues jr that I was holding for collateral, never would have bought it and been waiting 2 years to get paid back...

it was crazy like a light bulb that is hot and gets water on it POP!!! and it was shattered, I put some hotter tubes in it and it sounded better than before and should have gotten the hottest ones after hearing the new ones.

#40187 - 07/09/14 06:30 AM Re: Amp explosion [Re: Wannabe]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Wannabe
I tried the GT-100, but quickly went back to the GT-6, which is my second in line.

Just curious - there can be no wrong in personal preference - why the GT-6 over the GT-100?
I had a GT-6 years ago and it's probably still running strong to this day. It was over my head at the time, though. I ended up really learning the guitar multi-processor on the GT-10 and then the 11R came along and stole that thunder. smile

I actually got a GT-001 for studio use, but decided to use the Gt-100 instead as it has the -4/+10db switch and I can't find it in the 001.

Anyhow, good luck with the amp fix, and I hope it comes back in such a manner that you can re-claim your magic tone. smile

#40198 - 07/10/14 06:09 PM Re: Amp explosion [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Wannabe Offline
advanced member

Well, when the GT-10 came out, I spent quite a bit of time to get tones that would match the GT-6, but the output sounded a little more computerized, and a little less than the "real" sounds that I was looking for. It had many more sounds and options, but I am not in to having 200 different sounds. I am more of a 10 sounds, kinda guy. But I want those 10 to sound more authentic and like the real thing they are sampling. The 100 did the same again with lots of new and different options, but the ones I wanted seemed to sound less authentic. Same way with the 3000 over the ax1500g. Same deal.
I guess it is just my ear and the way I hear things. Cuz I know lots of people that really love the gt-100.