Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28361 - 02/17/13 08:22 PM Question about using 11rack and 11plugin at same time for dual rigs
tomc3084 Offline
advanced member

Hey guys I have heard about people using the eleven plugin and the eleven rack at the same time to achieve dual rigs. I myself have not been able to do the same thing without it sounding like total crap. I load up a stereo track in pro tools with the eleven rig ins and outs and then I load eleven plugin as a mono insert. Is this the proper way to do it? If not what am I doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

#28424 - 02/19/13 05:32 AM Re: Question about using 11rack and 11plugin at same time for dual rigs [Re: tomc3084]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

I've not done this, but it sounds interesting. I would think that the signal needed for the plug-in to sound right would be the guitar-in feed, not the Eleven Rack feed that powered the stereo track you already had.

If I were to do this, my first un-educated attempt (aka guess) would be to set up a second stereo trackwith the input as "Guitar In" and then the plug-in first on that track.

As you play and record, you should end up with two stereo tracks. One each for the 11R unit and plug.

Another assumption I would have is that I would make sure that Delay Compensation is turned on. I'd imagine that they would be off a little bit without it and start to sound quite out of sync. If your recording sounds much better than the "live" version, you'd probably be able to assume that it might be a timing (or clocking?) type of issue.

On a side note, you could do this in mono. You could also split to mono afterwards and decide how much or little or what signal goes to which side.

Hopefully some of this helps. Let me know if know dice and I'll give it a whirl. Remember delay comp or I doubt any of it will sound decent.

#28547 - 02/21/13 10:11 PM Re: Question about using 11rack and 11plugin at same time for dual rigs [Re: PatriotsBuker]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
You can always set up a reamping session and record your DI, play around with the sounds to see what blends with your Eleven Rig sound. I think the best results you will get is to reamp it right back through the Eleven Rig rather than the plugin. Use a heaver sound & a classic sound together & will it sound really nice & full.

One thing I never tried that I used to do with ReValver & Studio Devil is use the same amp but have one of them really thick/kinda bassy and use a completely different sound that has your verb/delay in it. Makes for a really cool fusiony/Holdworth/Gambale/Lane kinda sound the way I did it. Makes for a nice round tubey sound & feel if you do it right.

I was thinking about this earlier when I heard Metallica on the radio, how one time I copied the Metallica Black sound by using a quick 3 track method. Record three takes, the first two typical wide panning with no FX and the third one center panned with (early reflect reverb widened by a haas effect in the delay I think? something like that).

The only thing I really settled with for a one take multi rig sound was to run one side of the effects loop out through a haas delay into a PDI-09 and a impedence matching convertor.

I only had PT 8 I think, so wasn't getting good latency with plugins but would have liked to try more things like you are talking about.