Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44011 - 06/29/15 07:48 PM Anyone Checked Out Choptones?
StratGuru Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Choptones does presets and patches for various modelers. Saw them from a video on YouTube. I have to say, after downloading some of their presets, I'm quite impressed.

They don't have a whole lot but, if you're looking for some good metal presets, you won't be disappointed.

It will be interesting to see what you guys think. Take a listen. Pretty good stuff.

http://shop.choptones.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=63

#44023 - 07/01/15 07:45 AM Re: Anyone Checked Out Choptones? [Re: StratGuru]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
What I listened to sounded good.

#44894 - 11/08/15 07:46 PM Re: Anyone Checked Out Choptones? [Re: jaminjimlp]
StratGuru Offline

Loc: Kansas City
So, after living with these presets for awhile now, I have to say they are hands down some of the best presets I have used!

I now have my 11r racked with the GCX and GCP and have been playing with adding pedals in the loop.

The cool thing, not sure how they did it, is they are getting great natural feeling gain without using the FX1/FX2 parametric boost trick. This makes for less noise and takes pedals in front without the dreaded squealing you can get in ultra gain setups.

I'm using a Morning Glory, Tube Screamer Clone and a RAT in front and all sound fantastic and unique and true to tonal character.

Some of the other presets I was using from Benoni and others had so much gain pushed in you lost a lot of the natural feel and spongyness that is now present.

Just wanted to update this with current feedback. I'm a happy camper.

As always, ymmv. smile

#44899 - 11/11/15 10:32 AM Re: Anyone Checked Out Choptones? [Re: StratGuru]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
they aren't using the parametric eq's the same way that i do, which means you live with the fizz on some of the presets. if you like the added high end fizz then you can simply dial up presets yourself without much trying....just pick an amp and cabinet and be done.

Benoni uses a tube screamer on almost all metal/djent presets as it is a common practice among players to use the tube screamer that way in real life. it is designed to tighten up the spongyness. if that is not your thing, turn off the tube screamer and use whatever pedal you want. and turn down the gain if need be.

i myself design presets for the average guy using a "standard" off-the-shelf guitar playing through a full range speaker. with my presets, you get the sound of the artist in question plus a bunch of other presets that can be a starting point to make your own tone. in total i offer over 700 presets for a single donation of any amount you want. and that donation gets you a link to my superpack plus any and all presets that i make for the eleven rack in the future. and if that's not enough, if you can't find what you want in the pack i will make it for you. you can't beat that deal!

in the end, it's all about what works for you. there are tons of presets out there, but you still kinda need to know the basics of what does what, as in why do you need a parametric eq for pre-amplifier and one for post. the easiest way to figure that out is to try a presets that has parametric eq's added and simply turn them off one at a time to hear why it's needed (or not). the pre-eq will adjust tightness of the distortion. the post eq will shape the final tone.

and a word on distortion pedals; back in the day when we had single channel amps, we dialed in the amp's gain to the point just before distortion then added the distortion pedal. nowadays that art is lost and people just push gain on top of gain....which feels great for legato lead playing, but can squeal like a pig when you stop playing. try backing the amp gain way down when using a distortion pedal, that way you can still enjoy the dynamics that you like.

#44901 - 11/11/15 09:39 PM Re: Anyone Checked Out Choptones? [Re: singtall]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Hey Ross, so what you are saying......is that the 11r responds as a real amp would? So all us old school guys with our volume knob tricks and pedal stacking black magic trickery, are not obsolete just yet? 😉