Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44124 - 07/15/15 03:10 PM recording acoustic guitars
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

okies.. I like to experiment with recording a mic'd acoustic and then also grabbing signal from the piezo..
I've noticed that the signal isn't NEARLY as strong when running just the guitar input and bypassing the modeling in 11R.. with this mahogany Takamine the client is using.. batteries are fresh.. plenty o'signal.. etc...
suggestions?
Solutions?
Should I just take a flying f*%k off a short pier?!? lol
Thankx in advanced for any and all suggestions and help bruddahs! \m/
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#44130 - 07/16/15 08:16 AM Re: recording acoustic guitars [Re: Intelli-Shred]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
A Ribbon Mic placed about 6 to 8" away from the hole... or the best mic you can get or barrow. record dry add all fx in mix. really I not qualified to answer this but that's what I would try... Oh maybe place another Mic away from the guitar and a condenser Mic at the hole with the main one... I bet you could get a huge sound with this setup...

#44132 - 07/16/15 10:29 AM Re: recording acoustic guitars [Re: jaminjimlp]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

I am mic'ing the guitar with some nice mics but I also like getting a signal from the piezo if they have one.. just because... curious as to why I'm not getting "enough" signal just running the piezo straight from the front input into PT and bypassing the modeling.. the batteries are all fresh..etc..?
Morley Endorsing Artist

#44133 - 07/16/15 01:33 PM Re: recording acoustic guitars [Re: Intelli-Shred]
Bob Online   content
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Kevin - Let me see if I can help a bit.

I wouldn't use a ribbon alone on an acc/elec. But that is just me.

When I do record acc/elec, I too use a mic, actually a pair of mics, AND DI(11r).

If you have a nice room and want some of that warmth added if you have bi-directional mics you can use the Blumlein Configuration and add in some DI to the mix.

Personally I tend to just use a spaced pair configuration Condenser Microphones set about 2.5ft away from one another. One is pointed towards the 12th fret of the acoustic guitar and the other is pointed toward the sound hole.

Or if you can only use one mic, use a large diaphragm condenser about 12"from the sound hole.

Then for the DI I turn off any amp model but I will use EQ and Compression and record the wet signal. Remember you can only process ONE signal through the rig.

I have also used the mic input on 11 Rack and connected the acc/elec directly to that and used a good 2 channel mic pre into int 11R.

Did I help ya there or just confuse the issue.

Here is one that I recorded a few months ago. It is me playing and trying to sing. I recorded it using the spaced pair method into a 2 channel mic pre to line in on the 11 rack as well as the guitar output connected to guitar input on the 11 rack. No amp model but EQ and compression. Click here to listen FX processing in the mix though with some creative panning etc., but I think you can get the idea.

#44134 - 07/16/15 06:05 PM Re: recording acoustic guitars [Re: Bob]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
I wouldn't worry about your signal level, unless you are hearing the noise floor when mixing.

That's the beauty of digital, the days of having to get as close as you can to peaking meters are over. In fact, many people recommend doing the opposite.

There's a pretty good thread on the Reaper forum about recording techniques and where to keep signal levels, it's several years old but a great read.

#44135 - 07/16/15 09:40 PM Re: recording acoustic guitars [Re: noguud]
William Offline

Loc: Ga.
When I record my guitar players acoustic, I use 2 mic's spaced as mentioned above, plus I take a DI input off his Martin and bypass all modeling. It makes it a lot easier to Taylor the signal on mixdown.

#44136 - 07/17/15 03:33 PM Re: recording acoustic guitars [Re: William]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

I'm using the mics/DI combo as well.. just concerned about my levels.. I still think in terms of tape.. I KNOW... but I'm an old fart from the analog days..lol..
was just trying to get the levels of the di signal coming in to match what I'm getting off the mic's. Its NO where near as strong.
Morley Endorsing Artist

#44137 - 07/17/15 03:45 PM Re: recording acoustic guitars [Re: Intelli-Shred]
Paul in Iowa Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
I use this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TwinMix
Morley Twin Mix Dual Channel Mixer/Combiner Pedal
they are nice for guitars like my Schecter E/A 6.
you can dial the exact mix easy, and yes it has boost cut.
cool item and plugs right in to the 11r and works perfect.
clean or some drive!!
works nice on the 12 string I have too with the 2 pickup setup.
bridge and inside mics... you can balance them perfect!!

#44142 - 07/19/15 09:30 AM Re: recording acoustic guitars [Re: Paul in Iowa]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

Paul... I'm a Morley endorser and I totally have not EVEN remotely thought of that.. that my friend is brilliant.. thanks!
Morley Endorsing Artist