Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42955 - 03/02/15 07:37 AM Having a very hard time getting a sound that I like
lespauled Online   content
advanced member

I know that my problems most likely stem from me being new to the 11R, and I am not blaming it in any way. I am a creature of habit, and I have pretty much had the same sound for well over a decade. I switch off from time to time, depending on the situation, but I always come back to my main sound.

I play mostly classic rock (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, et al) as well as 80's Hair Band style rock. I have move over from the Digitech GNX3 (I told you I had the same tone for quite a while). I figured the 11R would be able to give me the same tone, but with better clarity of every string.

I am positive that this is the case, because it took me quite a while to get the tone I was looking for on the GNX3, and I stayed with it since I was able to dial it in.

I guess the best way to describe the tone is sort of a George Lynch tone with clear high end. I tried the Rokken Dokken patch, and it really didn't come close.

Whenever I try to get a nice high end on the 11R, I get that wonderful amp hum, which drives me crazy. I will post an example of the tone I have been using forever for reference when I am home. If I can get that tone (again), I will be thrilled and will love this box for at least a decade.

Right now, I'm so frustrated that I am considering going back to the GNX, but I want something better, and I am sure this is it.

Again, I know it's me going through the learning curve, but any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

#42957 - 03/02/15 09:30 AM Re: Having a very hard time getting a sound that I like [Re: lespauled]
NARSH Offline
advanced member

I'd say for you to go to the downloads section and grab the whole library. Cycle through the presets there and you will definitely find something you love or can build on. That's what I did and now I get pretty darn good tone from the 11R.

#42964 - 03/02/15 12:08 PM Re: Having a very hard time getting a sound that I like [Re: NARSH]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
id start with a jcm 800,a green screamer a 2x12 bogner cab or a 4x12 v30 and some para eq pre and post amp, you can do it mate! wink

#42967 - 03/02/15 03:19 PM Re: Having a very hard time getting a sound that I like [Re: Christophersad]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA

Edited by Rushian (03/02/15 03:20 PM)

#42968 - 03/02/15 04:23 PM Re: Having a very hard time getting a sound that I like [Re: Rushian]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
If you use the M2Lead, or Recto amps, dial the knobs to 4 or lower & go from there. Epecially on the M2, I leave the gain on 1 or 2 half the time with my Tonezone pickup. Most of these amps were made for low output pickups. Going from a Peavey Wolfgang (low output) and a Schecter with Duncan Distortions (hi) meant that I had to start from scratch again. Not a lot of my presets sound right with my Tonezone now, but I usually am dealing with the same EQ frequencies I always have been, and simply have to adjust them up or down depending on the EQ curve of my pickups.

After you find your gain starting to break up, try the JRC and just use it for a mid boost, keep the gain and levels down to 3.

Step 3, and maybe even 4 is to EQ your way to your tone. Don't try and pick a mic and put it off axis to get there. Use the setup you would normally use, even if it sounds like a buzzy fizzfest at first.

Step 4: My first EQ is usually a bump in speaker simulating frequencies around 350 Hz with a wide band, sometimes 400 with a narrow band helps solidify the sound. If it's still boomy, you may need to set up a highpass filter, so keep the first paremetric EQ setting untouched as you play around with low mids. What you are doing is bumping frequencies so that the noisy ones are a bit lower, but not just notching them out. You can still do that at the end of the paremtric EQ by using a low pass filter and playing around with the bandwidth, which will become the rolloff.

The next few frequencies yo want to check out are 750/800Hz, 2000/2200Hz, 2700/2800Hz, 4kHz, 6kHz may be your low pass filter, or even 4kHz...but test different ones and use the bandwidth knob to roll off.

Derfinitely set up a reamp session and record yourself playing when you get something usable, then you can freely work on making changes as it's reamping again.

Get something that feels and sounds good to you, save that, then try and tone match and save that one also.

#42969 - 03/02/15 05:02 PM Re: Having a very hard time getting a sound that I like [Re: TLTD]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana