Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41498 - 10/11/14 07:43 AM What are you guys doing with IRs?
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Stupid question time. I'm behind the trend....again

I've seen quite a bit of posts where some folks here are using IRs. Just recently I've seen it in context with cabinets as if it were a replacement or work-around. does anyone have an easy description of what you guys are doing and what it buys you?

A side question to that, of course, would be for what types of tones & music. Is it best suited for modern metal, or is it equally useful for a wide variety of things?

#41501 - 10/11/14 11:29 AM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: PatriotsBuker]
StratGuru Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Have a look at this thread:

http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=39954#Post39954

A great option for IR loading and it can be used standalone.

#41503 - 10/11/14 02:38 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: PatriotsBuker]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: PatriotsBuker
Stupid question time. I'm behind the trend....again

I've seen quite a bit of posts where some folks here are using IRs. Just recently I've seen it in context with cabinets as if it were a replacement or work-around. does anyone have an easy description of what you guys are doing and what it buys you?

A side question to that, of course, would be for what types of tones & music. Is it best suited for modern metal, or is it equally useful for a wide variety of things?

Great question PB, and I'm in the same boat. That IR thread is so long and I sheepishly admit, it goes over my head and I don't know where to begin. confused

So if anyone can post here, in a few short sentences, the basics, that would be great.

For instance:

Why? Why add even more to the signal chain?

Is it like a stompbox? Do I just plug into Epsi and then 11R?

I take it there are two things I'd need - the Epsi and then the pack from Ownhammer to run the Epsi?

#41504 - 10/11/14 04:44 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: ADF]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
lets make thigs quite simple if i can.

ir's are kind of a "snapshot" of a rig,in this case lets say a cab and a certain mic in a certain position.

those snapshot can be used like "cab simulators" in various ways.

epsi is one of those ways (its a machine used to "read ir's")

depending on the quality of the studio wich make those "snapshot" results may vary from a decent cab sim to a super
accurate reproduction of a cab and a mic.

you can use irs in place of others cab sims like the ones on 11r for example.

lets say that ir's are the future of cab sim (even if its quite some time theyre out there).

Edited by Christophersad (10/11/14 04:47 PM)

#41505 - 10/11/14 05:16 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
the Epsi needs to be used either after the amp model or at the end of the effects chain, not in front of the eleven rack. though it's in stomp box size/format, it is a cabinet simulator and like a real cabinet it needs to be after the amp.

#41506 - 10/11/14 05:16 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
put it in the effects loop of the 11R.

#41518 - 10/12/14 12:11 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: singtall]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Thanks so much Christophersad and singtall.

That was the best way of understanding it - that it's a cabinet simulator.

When you say it needs to be after the amp in 11R, is there a way to bypass the cabinet completely in 11R, or do you choose the most unaffected cabinet available and then go through Epsi?

Just wondering if the signal going through 2 cabinets would cause a problem.

Looking forward to hearing some samples if any of the members who recently made the purchase get a chance.

#41521 - 10/12/14 02:12 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: ADF]
StratGuru Offline

Loc: Kansas City
You can easily turn off (Bypass) the cabinets. In any patch, just hit Edit, scroll to the cab, tap over a page and turn on the Bypass.

You'll also have to turn ON the effects loop when using the Epsi and set the input and output levels. Singtall recommends 9 O Clock input and 3 O clock for the output. Which is just about perfect for most any patch.

IMHO, it makes a really big difference in tone. Also adds something to the feel as well. Worth every penny in my book to use the Epsi.

#41525 - 10/12/14 02:49 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: StratGuru]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
+1 on all comments on EPSi!

Note you can bypass the EPSi by just turning of the fx loop. To be clearer, you can set a preset to use the EPSi (11 Rack cab off/FX loop on) and the next preset to use the 11 rack cab (11 Rack cab on/FX loop off).

I personally have found the Ownhammer classic/modern IR's to be amazing on both clean and dirty.

The real plus is there really is not much need to do heavy eq (or any!;)) i.e more like a real amp/effects chain, IMHO smile Trick is choosing the right amp/cab for the sound you are after.

For my money the 59 Tweed works awesomely for clean/slightly, dirty tones. trick is to control the volume (remember that control wink )at the guitar for the clean/dirty.

#41528 - 10/12/14 06:34 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: Rushian]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Thanks guys, here's a few more questions.

So does one have to buy the EPSi and the Ownhammer? Does the EPSi have it's own IR's that the Ownhammer improves, or do you have to buy the IR's and the device to implement them separately?

Also, are these products only sold directly? Is there a way one can try before buying?

Can one make their own IR's, like one came make their own rigs on 11R?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >