Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41700 - 10/26/14 03:15 PM At all of you guitarist that record/mix guitar !
FireFab Offline
advanced member

Loc: QC
Hey!

I wanna know how to mix/record good guitar metal. I listen to all your stuff and DAMN this is way better than me. I mainly do POP/ACOUSTIC with my eleven rack because I know how to do it. But for metal i'm never satisfied with my sound.

I tried alot of preset and some sound good but when I record it's totally different. I want a POP/METAL sound like Nickelback, Stone sour, Five Finger Death Punch,etc...

I need you to tell me some of your tricks on how to sound good/heavy/clear with that !!

How do you record(4 track individually/4 track all the same/....)? Only EQ in your mix ? Some good preset for me ? Tricks for the drum (I got addictive&Superior) ? Tutorial for that ?

Well, I want a good metal sound. To have an idea of what i'm doing just take a look at my page : www.youtube.com/F2DProduction

Edited by FireFab (10/26/14 03:15 PM)

#41701 - 10/26/14 07:31 PM Re: At all of you guitarist that record/mix guitar ! [Re: FireFab]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
for the tone you are asking about, use the same formula that they did; tube screamer into a rectifier played through a V30 speaker. there have been like a million presets made to cover that tone.

i suggest you go with a tone that makes you happy and inspires you to play. i tried using the same tone that you mentioned and i found that it just didn't work for me. i'm an 80's metal guy, which means i favor a marshall type of amp tone. modern tone feels different to me and i just can't get into the feel.

clarity of tone (to me) has to do with pre-eq, which a tube screamer does for you as you turn the tone up past halfway. if you check my presets, you will see that i use pre-eq almost every time to get the clarity and distortion the way i want it.

i personally like to record 2 guitar tracks and pan them wide. more modern metal guys favor 4 tracks....but you have to play VERY tight to pull that off and not have it sound like mush.

if you hear someone play through the 11R with the tone you like, get that preset and run with it.

#41704 - 10/26/14 07:40 PM Re: At all of you guitarist that record/mix guitar ! [Re: FireFab]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Try saturating your drums so they don't bounce around & pan your guitar tracks solo'd one at a time so you can hear them start to get bigger (85-90%), if ya got 4 tracks, pan the 2 extra guitars in the middle more & use less gain or even a cleaner sounding amp. Boost your mids on the right guitars & scoop them on the left, then try & balance them with your ears & don't worry about the volumes matching. It'll come together in the mastering. Sometimes it's best to use a bus for any inserts so that you have the raw sounds along with the EQ'd sounds. Same with drums & bass...sometimes I like to send the drums & bass through an SSL plugin to make them tight/glue them together. You can add saturation on those or the whole mix on the Master Bus if ya want, or just on the busses. You can EQ the guitar Bus darker by rolling off the highs just don't go too crazy on the original tracks. You'll have a layered sound that way and should sound pretty cool once you get the hang of it. If ya got lead guitars, you can add some FX on a bus so that it sounds bigger, just don't do it directly on the track.

#41705 - 10/27/14 08:48 AM Re: At all of you guitarist that record/mix guitar ! [Re: TLTD]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I have a ? dose it not work to use re-amping for the 4 or 2 guitar thing or dose that just sound like a chorus. I have used re-amping and two different presets panned hard left and right....

I remember Tourniquet saying they use only one guitar live because it muddies up the sound but not on there studio stuff.

hey f2d if you don't have the singtall supperpack get it, I'm sure you will find something you will like.