Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26454 - 01/08/13 11:52 PM Set up Midi Mate with 11R
Pir Offline

Hi guys!

Is there anyone who has a step by step tutorial to help me to set up my Midi Mate with 11R? In 11R set up, what are the midichannel set to? midichannel 1, or Omni?

Ste

#26455 - 01/09/13 12:28 AM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: Pir]
Jason Phelps Offline
advanced member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
I just set up a MidiMate to control my 11R. I can try to retrace my steps and remember exactly what I did. A few things I do remember:

+ I did a full factory reset. Highly recommend.
+ I have the Rack set to Omni, receive all. But it worked just fine on any single channel as well.
+ I'm using "controller mode" Patch changes on the bottom row, CC on-off (FX on-off) on the top row.
+ You must line up your presets in the 11R to correspond with the button you want to push for a patch. I don't think you can change what patch a button in a particular bank calls up. (stupid but no biggie)
+ Each of the five CC buttons (top row) must be "enabled" to send their control messages. Baffling that they would default to off, aka, not doing anything, aka worthless. ? Really Rocktron? I'm sorry I don't have a better explanation, I'll have to dig out the (almost equally worthless) manual. This part had me pulling my hair out.
+ You can save the on/off state of each CC button, for each patch, and it will command the 11R to follow, regardless of what the 11R's preset says. So if a particular patch has delay off for example, you can save the patch with delay on in the MidiMate and it will force the delay on when you call up that patch. Weird, but actually kinda nice.

Apologies for not having a better explanation, I'm super busy for the next 4 days straight, but I'll try to find time to dig out the manual and explain this better.

It is quirky and totally non-intuitive. But once you get it, it's actually very easy, and is very functional.

#26489 - 01/09/13 12:08 PM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: Jason Phelps]
Pir Offline

Many Thanks man, but still confused!

#26621 - 01/11/13 10:54 PM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: Pir]
jesling Offline
advanced member

Loc: Florida Panhandle / Chicago
Plug in the midi mate power (no need to hook up to the 11R).
Tap the access button twice to get into controller mode.
Tap the 2ND button to get into edit mode.
Tap the 6 button twice to set the midi channel and wait for scrolling text to stop (0 & 1 buttons scroll up or down to choose channel).
I chose channel 1 (I think the 11R is already set to listen on all channels so I didn't change it).
Tap 2ND button to exit and then again to go back into edit mode.
Tap the 6 button three time to get to to controller assignment (and wait for scrolling text to stop)
First choice is to set up your expression pedal (I left mine OFF for now and just run my expression pedal to the back of the 11R - so you're on your own here if you want to set it up).
Tap the 6 button twice to get to btn 5 setup.
0 & 1 buttons scroll up and down to choose continuous controller number (refer to 11R user guide for the controller number for each effect).
I chose 25 to tell pedal 5 to tune on/off DIST.
Tap button 6 to move to setup for button 6 (and repeat for buttons 7,8,9).
I set 6 to 86 for FX2
I set 7 to 36 for Reverb
I set 8 to 50 for MOD
I set 9 to 28 for Delay
Press the 2ND button to exit edit mode.

That is all for your initial setup. I leave mine set up this way.

You can use your pedal this way BUT when you switch from patch to patch those effects that are being controlled with buttons 5-9 will always be turned OFF until you turn them on (which really isn't helpful to me in a live situation).

So this is my weekly setup:

After dialing in my sound on the 11R for each weeks set I again power up the midi mate (don't plug into the 11R but do turn it on).

Tap the Access button to get into controller mode.
Tap 1 to setup your first preset.
Tap the 2ND button for edit mode.
Tap the 6 button once and wait for scrolling text to stop.
Use 0 & 1 buttons to assign a patch/song title (5 & 6 buttons move you to the back and forth to choose next letter).
After title is set tap the 2ND button to exit edit mode.

Now look at your 11R to see what effcts are turned on for that preset, and tap each button (5-9) on the midi mate to set that initial state (on or off).

The reason you have to do this is that the 11R doesn't send that midi info to the pedal. The pedal tell the 11R what should be on or off.

Once you have a red light above each button/effect that should be on for that patch tap the 2ND button to enter edit mode and then the 4 button to save/store those settings.

Now you should be out of edit mode and can then tap 2 to move to your next preset and repeat.

I typically have 5-10 presets for each weeks set, so this setup doesn't take long.

Using the pedal live:
I set it in controller mode to tap through patches 1-4 (and use 5-9 to turn on/off effects)
When I need to get to preset 5 I first tap the access button to switch to bank mode, tap 5 and then tap access to get back into controller mode. Now 0-4 buttons will be presets 5-9.

I hope this helps you get up and running.

#26624 - 01/12/13 03:34 AM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: Pir]
Pir Offline

Hi, amazing man! What can I say? I think This will hjelp a lot of people. Thank You so Very Munch. You are the man.........

#28274 - 02/15/13 06:05 AM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: jesling]
sax Offline
advanced member

Wow, this is incredibally helpful, thank you!! I just got a midi mate, I was successful setting it up, pretty much, but was wondering why some presets don't get called up with certain effects on , when they are supposed to. For instance I downloaded an "Auto Wah" patch from this site,which has distortion on, mod-on, effect -on etc. and it is stored on bank 15, according to midi mate(I forget Letter/ number).When I step on corresponding button on midi mate, the patch will be loaded with no distortion, modulation or effect. Do I have to store patch how I want it on midi mate? Thanks again.

#28275 - 02/15/13 06:09 AM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: Jason Phelps]
sax Offline
advanced member

did you do a factory reset on 11R or midi mate? (sorry I'm probably asking a stupid question) thanks

#28278 - 02/15/13 08:26 AM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: sax]
Lurgar Offline

From what I've seen with mine, if you set it up so that you can punch effects on or off, then for some reason when you switch patches everything is default off. I actually found a work around by double tapping the buttons when I switch patches and for some reason everything turns on at that point. No idea what is going on with that.

#28282 - 02/15/13 01:31 PM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: Lurgar]
kennedydream Offline

When I got my Midimate I used this tutorial on Youtube to get me started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_qXIFSN5hM

#39706 - 05/24/14 06:34 PM Re: Set up Midi Mate with 11R [Re: Lurgar]
dan5150 Offline

Loc: Issaquah, WA
1st - Thanks to Jesling for the excellent step by step for setting up the midimate for use with the 11R.

I am new to both and these steps really got me going after about 5min.

2nd - I am seeing a similar issue to Lurgar. When I change patches, I have to "double tap" the button in order for the patch to swtich over correctly with all of the effects to show up in the rig.

Has anyone else seen this? The midimate I have is an older one (the paint is red), but it says it is running 2.1 of the firmware.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >