Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41109 - 09/18/14 05:33 AM IR of a complete amp - preamp + power amp + cab
Austin Offline

I know most IRs are cab only, and probably can't simulate compression/distortion. But if I just want to get a clean sound, is it possible? Are they available somewhere for purchase or download?

#41112 - 09/18/14 08:03 AM Re: IR of a complete amp - preamp + power amp + cab [Re: Austin]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
you can make IR's and load them into something like an Epsi.

#41117 - 09/18/14 11:22 AM Re: IR of a complete amp - preamp + power amp + cab [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
austin,if i understand you right, you want an impulse response of a complete rig amp+cab, quite like what kemper does. the only way right now i know of doing that is via "nebula" vst,wich is a dynamic convolution plugin wich can convolve an entire rig but oinly with clean sound, cause you cant convolve compression and distortion (for now)

#41130 - 09/18/14 05:35 PM Re: IR of a complete amp - preamp + power amp + cab [Re: Christophersad]
Austin Offline

Thanks. Yes, that exactly what I am asking for.

Did You mean the ESPI can't load that kind of IR as Singtall mentioned? I am thinking to load a full rig into the ESPI as my clean amp.

#41131 - 09/18/14 09:17 PM Re: IR of a complete amp - preamp + power amp + cab [Re: Austin]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
if the clean sound has no compression or distortion, then yeah, you can make an IR that sounds like pretty much anything you want. but if you change guitars, the tone changes too.

#41133 - 09/19/14 07:42 AM Re: IR of a complete amp - preamp + power amp + cab [Re: singtall]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
You can sort of get a tone dialed up and run whatever plugins on it at the end, even compressors, and get the "color" of that tone. I've done it making IRs with the Waves SSL 400 compressor, Soundtoys Radiator, and other color changing effects saturation and compression FX after some cabinets, EQing, etc; and A/B'd them and ended up liking that I could have the color without the compression even better. It will sort of level out your sound because it will amplify it as if the cabinet adjusts those frequencies and should work good for cleans so wouldn't hurt to throw on a compressor because it will think the cabinet makes it come out level out like that and it's real close and the bonus of having your sharp pick attack back too. Kinda cool if you ask me. Just shape your clean tone with whatever plugins and see what you get, the only real way to know for sure, but I never tried an amp but should give you the amp's color somewhat too, probably even turn out better who knows.

As far as pre existing IRs, I would just try some of the ones in Recabinet or something. They're nice and level and have some cool colors, I use them on synths sometimes and maybe they're good on clean DIs, I dunno.

#41186 - 09/21/14 07:58 PM Re: IR of a complete amp - preamp + power amp + cab [Re: TLTD]
Austin Offline

great thanks!! I will give it a try.