Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41129 - 09/18/14 04:59 PM Am I missing something? ( fx loops)
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Ok so the 11r has an FX loop. Like most other modellers plug ins etc
But where is it?
By that I mean I can move it around, before the amp, after the amp, after the fx etc etc
EXCEPT.... Where it goes on 99.9% of every bloody amp in the world
BETWEEN the pre and power amps , which brings me to the same issue with the fx blocks!!!!
I would settle for between amp and cab.
I just wonder if the tone shaping of the speaker sim, or power amp would have a significant affect on the tone of the fx??

Thoughts ??

#41140 - 09/19/14 09:39 AM Re: Am I missing something? ( fx loops) [Re: ProfessorBen]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Interesting point, hopefully these links might help with regard to placement of effects and their respective impact on tone.

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/fx-loops-explained
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Effects_Loops
http://www.bearfootfx.com/amp-effects/

Not withstanding the information in the links above, The amp models pin the 11 rack are primarily classic 'vintage' models (particularly prior expansion pack), that did not have an FX loop, so it kinda makes sense why there is no option to place the FX loop between the pre and power amp.

Also, IMHO the 11 rack (despite any claims by AVID!) is really squarely aimed at trying to create 'studio tones' to allow 'in the box recording'. So again, it makes sense that effects (time based) would be added after the 'miked amp' tone, just as they would have been added to those classic amp tones in the studio.

You could argue (argue away wink ) that when the modern amp models were added, that they should have also added the option to place the fx loop between the pre and power section (with options for series and parallel routing).

But we all know we are kidding ourselves, thinking that AVID would give us the fully baked product what we truly want(ed) even if it was in slow increments... mad cry mad

Having said all that, the only people who can truly answer this question, are the original design team, wherever they are now! In the mean time enjoy the 11 Rack for what it is rather than what you wish it was (just like those classic amps/fx pedals!) grin grin

#41149 - 09/19/14 03:26 PM Re: Am I missing something? ( fx loops) [Re: Rushian]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

A great point, well made.
I suppose I was looking for the moon on a stick.
In this world of midi switching, cranked amp tones at bedroom volumes and drive through burger joints, I guess I want it all.
But having a vintage jcm800 single channel no reverb I appreciate the simple things too.
I just thought it would be the obvious place to put the fx loop. But your point about the studio tones thing is absolutely what they were going fir I think
Cheers.

Edited by ProfessorBen (09/19/14 03:27 PM)

#41150 - 09/19/14 05:05 PM Re: Am I missing something? ( fx loops) [Re: ProfessorBen]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
I always thought the fx loop on amps was sort of a compromise meant for live use, but not optimal anyway. Like Rushian said, the 11R is setup for probably how 99% of actual albums are recorded - out in front for FX, or post amp/cab/mic during mixing.