Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40750 - 08/28/14 02:45 PM Axe ultra vs eleven rack with espi
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Any one with experience ? Am interested in how close they are or would be.....
Zac

#40755 - 08/28/14 04:54 PM Re: Axe ultra vs eleven rack with espi [Re: zacflame]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
had both, so here's my thoughts:

axe-fx ultra: great unit for effects. amps/cabinets are good, Ownhammer IR's make them better. no true-z input, so feel factor is not the same as 11R. no usb or headphone jack, so you need to have an interface to listen to it or record it.

eleven rack: feel is VERY close to real tubes. amp tones sound/feel genuine. limited effects, but what it does it does pretty well. has true-z input, usb, microphone input. no 3rd party IR's unless you use an Epsi. with an Epsi the tone is anything you want it to be.

i had the axe-fx II also, and though i thought it was on par tonally with the 11R plus it had more effects and routing options.....i'm back to the 11R. the 11R is just easier to tweak without getting lost in options.

also, since i had hundreds of quality presets in the superpack it just made sense to stay with it rather than reinvent the wheel again with the axe-fx.

#40763 - 08/29/14 11:37 AM Re: Axe ultra vs eleven rack with espi [Re: singtall]
DAR Fritz Offline
advanced member

Loc: West Michigan

Never tried the Axe FX Ultra or II but Singtall's observation is well taken for me. When I'm writing or working in a recording session, the last thing I want to get in my way is some device I have to spend "hours" learning to get/tweak sounds. To me, nothing kills inspiration faster than dickin around with a tool you're supposed to be using to create. I'd take coming up with a great idea, melody line, or cool lickage over spending time splitting hairs about which one of the "8 million" cabinet/mic/FX/amp combinations "sounds best" on some box.

Fritz
Focusrite Pro40 FireWire Interface
Digidesign Eleven Rack

#40764 - 08/29/14 12:39 PM Re: Axe ultra vs eleven rack with espi [Re: DAR Fritz]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
the only thing i envy to the axefx is the effect routing capability.