Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40595 - 08/12/14 07:55 PM Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect?
ADF Offline
advanced member

As we were discussing last week, we often hear tones in songs we think would match parts in our own work. Sometimes we hit, sometimes we miss.

I don't know if it would be a hit or miss, but I heard a tone I think would fit a tune I'm developing.

Only problem is, with my limited knowledge of tone and gear, I'm nowhere close. I actually bought a Dynamic/Auto Wah that may do the trick, but I'm not there yet.

Could I possibly do it with the wah in 11R and just leave it at a fixed position? Or am I completely off base and this is another effect entirely?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You needn't suffer through the entire song, but the tone I'm after is in the solo, which starts around 2:42.

Thanks!

#40596 - 08/12/14 08:02 PM Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect? [Re: ADF]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
I think its a normal wha,May be it's paralleled to a straight uneffected track cause it's subtler than a regular wha to my hear but it act as a regular wha or maybe autowha

Edited by Christophersad (08/12/14 08:03 PM)

#40597 - 08/12/14 08:03 PM Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect? [Re: ADF]
68injunhed Offline
advanced member

Loc: SE Kansas
It's a wah, but it's definitely not fixed. I'm not sure if an auto-wah can do that or not, I haven't messed with one enough to know.

#40599 - 08/12/14 11:40 PM Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect? [Re: 68injunhed]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I'm in no way an expert on wah pedals, but to me this sounds like a conventionally played wah using relatively little travel; one that maybe has a slightly narrower frequency range than usual.

I don't think it's an autowah... it doesn't sound or feel like that to me.

#40600 - 08/13/14 01:33 AM Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Marc C.
I'm in no way an expert on wah pedals, but to me this sounds like a conventionally played wah using relatively little travel; one that maybe has a slightly narrower frequency range than usual.

I don't think it's an autowah... it doesn't sound or feel like that to me.

yep. i agree with that.

#40601 - 08/13/14 06:46 AM Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect? [Re: singtall]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

Phaser and wah.. kind of like the old Ernie Eisley Roland Jet Phaser tone from Who's That Lady and their version of Summer Breeze.. but with a little more way
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#40603 - 08/13/14 07:30 AM Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect? [Re: Intelli-Shred]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Definitely not an auto wah, I have a the original Vox Wah (but only 3 years old) It does remind me a little of that.

side note: an auto wah reacts on the intensity of the picking on the strings and has to surpass the threshold of the trigger (adjustable) set point to activate it. They are not very good IMHO.

#40607 - 08/13/14 04:31 PM Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect? [Re: jaminjimlp]
DaytonFlyer Offline
advanced member

I agree, it's definitely a standard wah, and just using a very low sweep.

#40608 - 08/13/14 04:40 PM Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Effect? [Re: DaytonFlyer]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Big thumbs up!

I was hoping this was a button I could push but it sounds as if the wah must be worked manually, and slowly.

I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to pull that off. confused