Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38029 - 02/20/14 06:34 PM Question about 4 cable method
jc986 Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
Greetings - I lurk here all the time, but rarely post. I've done a lot of searching and it seems there are some mixed opinions with regard to the 4 cable method and 11R. Ideally I'd like to be able to toggle between:

1. 6505+ for preamp & power amp
2. 11R Amp models as preamp with the 6505+ power section

I would like to make use of the 11R for effects in both scenarios.

I have seen threads on multiple forums where people have seemed to have success with this and also quite a few threads where it doesn't seem to work so well.

Here is how I have things connected at the moment:

Cable 1: Guitar -> 11R Guitar input
Cable 2: 11R FX Send (Left) -> 6505+ Input
Cable 3: 6505+ FX Send -> 11R FX Return (Left)
Cable 4: 11R Main Out (Left) -> 6505+ FX Return

From what I understand, my 6505+ preamp should only be active when the 11R FX Loop is on. However, it is definitely still active when the 11R FX loop is bypassed.

I have tried setting Output to Amp to both Amp Input as well as Rig Out No Cab and things still don't seem to work properly. I have the 11R FX Mix to 100%.

For cable 4 I have tried using the 11R Output to Amp instead of 11R Main Out, but I didn't notice a difference.

One thing that is working fine at the moment is that the 11R effects work with my 6505+ as pre and power amp. For this to work I don't even have to have the 6505+ FX loop OR the 11R FX loop turned on (which is mind boggling to me).

I've used the 4 cable method in the past with other units without too much trouble, but any help is much appreciated.

#38042 - 02/20/14 09:09 PM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: jc986]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
that is weird. sounds like the eleven rack effects loop won't turn off. dumb question: is the front panel effects loop light on when you bypass the effects loop?

#38045 - 02/20/14 09:41 PM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: singtall]
jc986 Offline

No, the light goes off like it should. Also on the display it shows bypassed as well.

I wonder if it might be something with the amp though too, as I can have both effects loops turned off and still be getting effects from the 11R when playing through the Peavey.

But otherwise, you think it sounds like I have everything hooked up properly?

#38046 - 02/20/14 10:20 PM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: jc986]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
yeah, that is not right. sounds like you are hooked up right, but something is wrong.

X-Mann uses a 5153 head with his eleven rack, so you might want to wait until he chimes in.....he may have an idea of what to try next.

#38051 - 02/21/14 07:42 AM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: singtall]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
I am using the Eleven Rack with my EVH 5153 amp with stellar results! eek shocked cool

I was using it in the 4-cable method at 1st & even made a 11R/5150 specific video for this application. Check that out on a youtube near you. wink

But.......

Now I've switched over to an even better sounding solution with these 2-uber cool pieces of gear.

I run the 11-Rack Amp #2 output directly into the 5153's FX loop with ALL 11R cab modeling left ON!!!!!! eek shocked confused smirk cool

I like this set-up due to the fact that I can now run the 11R XLR outputs direct to the PA at practice & gigs, but run my 2x12 cab LOUD on stage. I started designing 11R Rigs with the cab modeling OFF at 1st & some pretty good results. THen I thought "I wonder what it would sound like turning that Cab modeling back on" & it sounded even better.

These new Live 5153 Rigs have different volumes for the "digital outputs" & the "Out to amp" outputs. I also had to take the volume on of the actual modeled amp section and change (boost) it to get more volume for certain amps too. The Rig volume ONLY effects the XLR outputs that go to the PA, NOT the AMP! The output to amp (#1 & #2) volumes/settings are used in EACH Rig to control the 5150 volume for each 11R Rig. That means that these are totally seperate from each other.

I had to go back & forth from the sound coming out of the 5153 & then I would turn the FX loop off (& kill the amp) & turn on my studio monitors for the direct sound. It's a total balancing act here.

All of the great FREE Rigs that you can get here DO NOT WORK or translate well for this Live amp set-up. The FX are ALL set to high mix wise. FYI

The G12H speakers in the EVH cab are what I think makes this all work-out so great too! I look at the cab modeling in the 11R as an EQ curve. I feel this set-up works great & it makes the cleans A LOT better than what I could get out of the 5153 on its own.

I guess my main point here is that it takes a lot of trial and error to get the sound in your head into the gear that you own. I did try the 11-Rack with other amps (Egnater) & I didn't get great results like I'm getting now. The 5153's loop is also a BIG part of this equasion as well.

Good luck & peace! X-Mann
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#38055 - 02/21/14 08:26 AM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: jc986]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
Originally Posted By: jc986
I wonder if it might be something with the amp though too, as I can have both effects loops turned off and still be getting effects from the 11R when playing through the Peavey.

1st off, I have the EVH (aka Fender) 5153 amp, not the Peavey.

When you say BOTH effects loops, I'm assuming that you are saying the Peavey amps FX loop too! In 4-cable method when I trun the 5153 amps FX loop off I get NO SOUND at all.
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#38088 - 02/21/14 03:43 PM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: X-Mann]
jc986 Offline

Thanks very much for the thorough replies!

And yes, even with my 6505+ loop turned off I am still getting the preamp tone of the 6505+ and the effects from the 11R. I'll double check everything when I get home later and try out some of your suggestions.

Thanks again!

#40473 - 08/05/14 12:49 AM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: jc986]
DarkAndy Online   content

Hey jc986, I'm just curious if you ever figured out a solution to your issue. I have just set up my 11r with my dual rec and seem to be encountering the same thing.

My pod hd500 does it properly but that thing just does not sound good to me at all. There is way to much noise and level balancing is awful. I don't even know why they put an effects loop in it. It's basically unusable with my amp.

#40474 - 08/05/14 06:40 AM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: DarkAndy]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
The 11R effects loop "output" jacks are always active, even when the effects block is disabled. I run an external effects processor in the 11R's loop, and it has input signal meters that are always lit up, no matter if the 11R's loop is enabled or disabled. The 11R's effects loop returns ARE muted when the FX block is disabled.

So, using the 11R's FX loop output to drive an amp input (pre-amp) won't disable the pre-amp path when the FX loop is off. It will only mute what's coming back into the 11R's returns. I don't think that is what jc986 wanted, and probably not what most people want.

I think the 11R FX loop is mostly meant to drive line-level external FX processors, or instrument level stomps that you may want in the loop rather than out front.

There is a thread on this if you search over here:
http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Good luck!

#40476 - 08/05/14 09:28 AM Re: Question about 4 cable method [Re: noguud]
DarkAndy Online   content

That's some pretty good info. Thanks noguud.