Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40291 - 07/24/14 03:02 PM Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig?
Hamster Spanks Offline

Loc: new mexico
Hi guys and maybe some chicks...lol. Im one of the new guys on the block. My brain (and experience with analog stereo rigs) is tellin' me that running two ER's at the same time in stereo has the possibilites of being incredibly good. I.e. mixing two different amp models and coming up with some "Hybrid Amps". Not to mention the effects possibilities. Is anyone out there in Eleven Rack land doing this??? Thx guys! Thoughts??

#40292 - 07/24/14 03:08 PM Re: Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig? [Re: Hamster Spanks]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i had two units and never tried it.

#40294 - 07/24/14 03:48 PM Re: Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I haven't tried using two 11R units but I have tried using one along with JamUp on an iPad. When I set up my 11R initially, I did so with the same preset types, in the same location, as my previous rig... just to make it easier to remember all my patches. I did the same thing with the iPads - so actually I can run two rigs together.

My opinion is that this works very well for the dirtier rigs... you can get a cool blending of tones and make the heavy even heavier.

Clean tones... not so much... for me, at least. For my clean sounds I try to find a tone that is particular to a type of amp, say a Fender Twin, or whatever. Blending that sound with a different clean tone seems to take away what's special about either of those clean tones. It's not that it's bad... you can certainly get away with it... but it's not special. If are going to do it, though, I would recommend putting some distance between the speakers the sounds are running through... the more stereo, the better.

That's been my experience... YMMV.

#40297 - 07/24/14 06:08 PM Re: Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig? [Re: Marc C.]
DaytonFlyer Offline
advanced member

I've also thought about trying that. I'm picking up a second 11r next month as a live backup. I'll definitely get something to split my signal from my guitar so it sends it to both 11'a simultaneously and run each 11 to it's own speaker and try mixing rigs to see how it turns out. I would think live you could use a ground control pro running midi in to one and midi out into the other so you could change patches on both amps at the same time, assuming they're saved on the same cc #.

#40298 - 07/24/14 06:19 PM Re: Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig? [Re: DaytonFlyer]
singtall Offline
veteran member

in my opinion; the best way to setup two amps is to use two different amp types or eq them differently.

example:

one amp midrange heavy
one amp mid scooped

#40299 - 07/24/14 06:55 PM Re: Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Singtall... yes, I think it's preferable to use two different tonal ranges when combining sounds.

Dayton, because the 11R has a MIDI 'thru' you can easily connect two or more units together and switch both with a single foot controller. Also, I have a Boss NS-2 in front of my 11R. Since it has both in/out and send/return it can act as a Y splitter, sending the guitar from both the output and the send.

#40301 - 07/25/14 12:43 AM Re: Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig? [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I thought about doing this to alleviate the "delay" between presets using my morly amp switch to switch between each and or use 1 or both at the same time and be able to change a preset on the one I'm not playing through and It would be ready for me to change to it at the right time instead how it is now trying to anticipate just the right time to hit it so it changes at the right time

#40303 - 07/25/14 07:11 PM Re: Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Hamster Spanks Offline

Loc: new mexico
Thx for the feed back brothers!The one amp left and one right I think would be cool. Im thinking Singtalls eq idea but Blending both amps (some what) equally left and right is blowing my skirt up...of course you dont know until ya try it. Daytonflyer keep me posted brother when you hook up ur second ER k??

#40304 - 07/25/14 08:46 PM Re: Two Eleven Racks in stereo rig? [Re: Hamster Spanks]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i did the whole two amp thing when i had the axe-fx II, and using two different amps panned wide was the bomb.