Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39697 - 05/24/14 09:30 AM Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

Well.. it still works.. BUT when it wants to.. and later it may freeze again.. so the 11R that's sticking will go to The Tone Doctor for repair.. last time I got it to work .. I finally got it to take a firmware update and reboot etc.. and a day later it was all glitchy again.. so while the original goes to The Tone Doc.. I had a new one sent in and it comes with a new i-lok and PT 11 download (this was via Sweetwater).. so I gots lots o' questions...

1.) so with the upgrade from 8.5 to 11.. I'll finally have to upgrade my OS to Mavericks?

2.) Will I need the stand alone editor?..

note: This 11R's box cosmetics are completely different from the first one's.. I keep all my packaging and cartons whenever possible.. whether its to protect moving/shipping or to retain in case I flip a piece of gear..

also of note: I see/read a lot of folks with issues with the above mentioned editor.. like it disappears, etc.. but I can't recall seeing any Mac folk having the issue.. is this glitch contained to pc users?

I'm excited to have a whole second 11R as a back up once Tone Doc is finished with my original unit..
I think this 11R package was like $699 w/ PT11 download and i-lok.. which I thought was a more than reasonable deal that included an extended 2 year warranty and free tech support..
Any issues?.. anything I should know about moving up to PT11?
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#39699 - 05/24/14 10:50 AM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: Intelli-Shred]
Bob Online   content
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Kevin - I can't really speak about the Mac, but yes, Mavericks is now supported for PT11.

YES you will need the stand alone editor if you are using PT 11, HOWEVER, PT 11 is a combo license that also comes with PT 10, which still uses the internal editor. You can install BOTH PT 11 and PT 10 on the same machine, but you can only use one at a time, which is really handy if you have a lot of older plugins.

I am on a PC and have never had the issue with stand alone editor but some have. It mainly appears to be going off screen, but as I have not had the issue, I don't really know.

PT11 has a MUCH better memory manager, and actually gave my older machines a little longer lease on life. I am getting better performance with 11 so I put off upgrading hardware for another couple years, which is a good thing, because studio revenue is off a little so far this year.

Yes I like buying from SW BECAUSE they extend the warranty, but luckily I have never needed to use it.

Let us know what Tone Dr has to say and the cost if you will, Id be really interested to know what the issue is.

Good luck my friend.

#39700 - 05/24/14 11:06 AM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: Bob]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Bob covered it pretty much. I have also heard the window opening issue is with Windows only. I've had it bite me. I had some series of things I had to do to get it to open including a bunch of reboots. frustrating. But, it does work well once open.

PT11 is, as stated, a lot better with the memory. My weakest link right now is hard drives R/W. it was the graphics card, but I got one with 2GB of memory and that solved that. I can do quite a bit on the windows machine nowadays and have let some resource saving habits drift away....

Off-line bounce is da bomb! You prepare yourself for it, you know it's coming, but it still makes you giddy the first time or two you do it.

#39702 - 05/24/14 03:21 PM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

Thanks guys!.. I will keep you all in the loop with regards too the Tone Doctor quote.. I will say this.. they have been lightning quick with e-mail replies.. incredibly quick and extremely polite.
Morley Endorsing Artist

#39705 - 05/24/14 06:01 PM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: Intelli-Shred]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
if all else fails.....set it on fire and pee in it. lol.

it's good to hear that you have a backup unit. i recently acquired a used one, and i'm glad that i did.

#39714 - 05/25/14 11:19 AM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I have really thought about getting the second unit as well and maybe using a digital switch like the Marley one I have so that I can have instantaneous preset change that kind of is distracting trying to get the timing just right so that you can switch into a preset at the right time.... You know you could have one set for a nice clean tone and one set for a nice crunch tone, then use the amp switch to switch back and forth......

#39724 - 05/26/14 06:02 AM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: jaminjimlp]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

So I'm guess I need to upgrade to mavericks.. and THEN start with all the install of PT11 and the drivers and the standalone editor etc? still on OS X 10.6.8
Morley Endorsing Artist

#39726 - 05/26/14 09:27 AM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: Intelli-Shred]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

mavericks works good but I don't use my mac for pt anymore though so I can't comment on that.

I guess what I am saying is go for it....

Edited by jaminjimlp (05/26/14 09:27 AM)

#39727 - 05/26/14 11:23 AM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: jaminjimlp]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

okies.. here's some dumb blonde questions for you.. will dkfh/ez drummer and midi work with pt11 or do I need to have 10 installed?.. using guitar pro 6 for writing my midi snippets, etc.. any known issues with pt11 there?
One thing I'm sure I'm not looking forward to doing though is setting up my GCP with the new 11R.. it was such a PITA the first time. lol.
Morley Endorsing Artist

#39729 - 05/26/14 11:35 AM Re: Prt II of my current saga with my frozen 11R [Re: Intelli-Shred]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

go to there web page and check the compatibility with pt11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >