Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25804 - 12/27/12 03:07 PM It all adds up...
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

... that is the lesson of the day.

So I tend to try to find the "value" products out there - maybe better stated, I don't often have a ton of gear cash at any single point in time so I tend to buy inexpensive and improve parts and pieces over time.

Case in point - my "home output system" is a Behringer Xenyx 1002 mixer and Truth studio monitors -- or, a pair of Kustom 12" 100 watt powered wedges (which I swapped out the speakers for Peavey Scorpions based on some videos I saw on YouTube). I had been running the Kustoms off the outputs of the Xenyx. I had tried them off both the 1/4" and XLR 11R outputs but they never sounded quite right... until today. I was either overloading the Kustom inputs or the stock speaker just sucked. Either way - today I decided to give them a try off the 1/4" outs and man what a difference! I have been battling the oppressive highs for a while... dialing a post PEQ in on every preset to roll off highs above 4.1K in most cases. By bypassing the Xenyx and going direct to the Kustoms from the 1/4" outs all that went away. I started scrolling through all of Ross's presets and holy $#@%!!! I thought they were good before, just too much high end for my setup... turns out I was killing the tone by running through the mixer. I just absolutely shredded a half dozen presets and [/i] [/b]poof[b][i]... two hours instantly disappeared!!! Used both the Gibsons and they were incredible!!!

... lesson of the day... it all adds up... in many cases, less is more... and... sometimes you get what you pay for so remove as many less expensive parts of the signal path as you can.

Hopefully others can benefit from me being a bonehead... but finally realizing it!

THANK YOU AGAIN ROSS FOR SUCH UNREAL PRESETS!!!
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9

#25808 - 12/27/12 04:35 PM Re: It all adds up... [Re: dmock66]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

... so a bit of a follow-up question...

At church I play through a pretty nice PA - Yamaha M-7 (I think that's what it's called - the $25K digital board), JBL wedge (with my own mix) at my feet, all through a pair of speaker columns on each side of the stage. Should the tones I get from the Kustoms coming direct out of the 1/4" outs be approximately the same as what I get at church? I know there is some EQ on my channel on the board - rolloff under 125Hz and over 7Khz-ish with a little bump around 3.2Khz. I realize that makes a difference - but with regard to the basic tone, should I be close? I've always struggled to get the 11R to sound approximately the same at home and church.
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9

#25811 - 12/27/12 07:11 PM Re: It all adds up... [Re: dmock66]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i would think that the Kustoms still won't sound quite as good as the church setup, but it should be decent.