Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25744 - 12/25/12 01:43 PM Effect Order
EricDee Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hey everyone - forum newb here. Been browsing here for the last few months whilst getting used to the 11R - THANK YOU to all of you that take time to post smile
(I did 'pay it forward' to the forum before registering a la "Eleven Rack Amps With Pics", so not a *total* newb

I would like to get some opinions on effect placement -- specifically delays before or after the amp section. I've noticed some of my favorite guitarists using simple boss dd stomps before the preamp, and yet every single manufacturer suggests putting them in the loop...what gives?

I'm running a Lexicon mx300 in the loop for added delay features and pitch shifting, as well as a BBE to tighten things up before the power amp. All that into a Marshall 8008 stereo out to a 1960A and an Ampeg V4 (cab sims bypassed) so I suppose my focus is on the best live setup setup setup setup setup (sorry, bad delay humor).

Thanks!

#25746 - 12/25/12 02:40 PM Re: Effect Order [Re: EricDee]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
with your live setup, you may not notice the tonal difference in delay placement, but here is the difference:

putting a delay after the preamp or distortion pedal is usually the most common placement because it repeats the full tone that your distortion generates.

putting a delay before the distortion stage is not as desirable because each repeat is lower in volume and therefore creates less distortion, which creates a difference in tone. this can be used as an effect though.