Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6144 - 03/30/11 03:07 PM Vocals thru or along with 11rack
GoonBash Offline

Loc: San Jacinto Mtns, CA, USA
Another thread got me thinkin'. What variations are you guys using to combo vocals with the eleven rack?

I have been using Fishman stuff for my vocals for a while now and it works pretty good. What I have been doing is running an XLR splitterbox with one output going to a FishmanSoloAmp (which is daisy chained to a 2nd Fishman) and then the 2nd mic output goes to a y-cable type setup and into the mic input on each of 2 EV monitors. This helps the vocals compete with bigger guitar sounds because the vocals run through the guitar monitors too.

One thing that I have wanted to try is to figure out a clean way to run an 11rack output XLR and a Fishman XLR output both into the line input on the EVs. This would bypass the EV mic preamps since I am happy with how it sounds thru just the Fishman preamps, but still get my Fishman vocal output signal to come thru the EVs too.

Anyone have experience 'stacking' input signals into single input powered monitors like that? Anything to be careful of?

Any thoughts or opinions would be great. Thanks again for all the help and support.

#6146 - 03/30/11 03:14 PM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: GoonBash]
GoonBash Offline

I know it seems like just a double XLR y-cable will allow for double input on the EV line input, but are there potential signal matching problems, etc when doing that sort of thing?

#6151 - 03/30/11 04:35 PM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: GoonBash]
GoonBash Offline

Here is another vocal blending idea/question. If I had a mic running into a Fishman solo amp, could I run the line output from the Fishman into the 1/4" line inputs on the back of the 11rack? And then blend that somehow with the guitar so I get my vocals to come thru the EVs that are hooked the 11rack main outputs?

#6152 - 03/30/11 05:24 PM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: GoonBash]
0dannyboy Offline
advanced member

I run my eleven rack into a Bose L1 L mono ch 1 and my Vocals into a Digitech Vocalist live 3 into the Bose ch 2. I ues a little Bose T1 mixer for some eq and compression and delay or reverb. Its sounds better than I do wink

#6153 - 03/30/11 07:32 PM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: 0dannyboy]
Matt Cahill Offline

Odannyboy- I own an L1. How do you like the overall sound and feel of the 11R through it? I haven't made the jump to 11R just yet, but it would be great if the L1 worked awesome for everything from clean to very dirty. Does it still have the feel of an amp behind you? Thanks, peace.

#6154 - 03/30/11 08:25 PM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: Matt Cahill]
GoonBash Offline

I found a great and simple setup today that is good for home practice or band jams. We had 2 mics running into the 2 channels of the Fishman solo amp, using the EQ, anti-feedback and preamps in the Fishman and using the Fishman tower itself as a vocal monitor/control board for our vocals.

Then we used the monitor out on the Fishman (which has a level control knob) to send the vocal blend we liked in the Fishman out to the 2 EV guitar monitors used with the eleven rack. We used a 3pin XLR splitter cable out of the level controllable Fishman monitor out and ran one side if the splitter to each EV guitar monitor. Then we used an XLR splitter at each EV line input to connect the left/right main 11rack outputs and the Fishman monitor out to each EV. This gave us great control over the vocals and we were able to mix in well thru the EVs even with the biggest guitar sounds. The Fishman made a great vocal only monitor and we got to bypass the EV mic preamps since we didnt really need them .

#6156 - 03/30/11 09:09 PM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: GoonBash]
GoonBash Offline

We also did an acoustic/electric guitar plus vocals through the Fishman and out to the EVs both with and without 11rack guitar too. The fact that we had level control on our monitor out to the EVs let us do anything we wanted and still get a great mix between 11rack and vocals/acoustic stuff. You definitely couldn't have done a lot of what we did with a guitar amp.

#6172 - 03/31/11 08:29 AM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: GoonBash]
giantkiller Offline
advanced member

You can't use multiple inputs simultaneously on the 11R live, only as a recording interface where the usb output can route the various inputs to different tracks in a recording session. You could get a compact (cheap) mixer to blend the vocals with the 11R output, and send to mixer output to the EV's.

#6173 - 03/31/11 08:55 AM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: giantkiller]
GoonBash Offline

Sending the Fishman out to the EVs to blend the vocals into the big speakers worked great since the monitor out from the Fishmn has a level control. I see you point about not being able to use the 11rack line inputs while also using it's guitar input. Thanks.

#6177 - 03/31/11 09:25 AM Re: Vocals thru or along with 11rack [Re: Matt Cahill]
0dannyboy Offline
advanced member

I must warn you I have "drank the BOSE cool-aid" or somthing because its totally solved my small venue PA, monitor, guitar Amp etc... problems. I think it sounds absoluty great with my 11 rack acoustically and with my Les Paul Jr. I have a model 1 Bose system. I have used it with 1 or 2 B1s. I am a singer songwriter kind of preformer so Low end chug and having that thump hit you in the chest while your standing in front of your cab while great for the "monster shredder dude", is not what works for us. We worry more about things like clear and clean mixes with volume under control but easly heard throughout the venue. alsowide dipersion so everyone can hear what I hear through out the venue. We play in sports bars too where you want to have a conversation or eat as well as listen to the band so quality not so much quantity is what gets us rehired. wink

I have never had managers come up to us just to complement us on just the PA preformance until I got this system. Now its common for bar owners to walk up to the tower and just stare...then then usual starts ..man how does that sound so... wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >